Diney's Rhubarb Cake
- 350g/12oz prepared rhubarb, cut into 4cm/1 1/2 inch lengths.
- 200g/8oz golden caster sugar
- finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 small orange
- 140g/5oz butter softened
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 85g/3oz self-raising flour
- 100g/4oz ground almonds
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 25g/1oz butter, melted
- 25g/1oz light muscovado sugar
- finely grated zest of 1/2 small orange
- 50g/2oz silvered almonds
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1 - Mix the rhubarb with 50g/2oz of the caster sugar and the orange zest. Set aside for 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
- 2 - Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C. butterand line the base of a deep 23cm/9in round cake tin. Cream the butter and remaining caster sugar. Add the eggs, baking powder, flour and ground almonds. Beat gently, but do not overmix. Stir in the orange juice, spoon into the tin, and level. Drain the rhubarb and spoon over the mixture. Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the butter, sugar zest and almonds.
- 3 - Reduce the oven to 180C/ Gas 4/fan oven 160C. sprinkle the topping over the cake and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes or until firm. Cool in the tin, then transfer to a rack. Dust with icing sugar.
Per serving (for six) 548 kcalories, protein9g, carbohydrate 44g, fat 39g, saturated fat 16g, fibre 3g, added sugar 41g, salt 0.74g