Diney’s Home Made Pear, Hazelnut & Chocolate CakeOur guests love taking some cake on their walks and this is one of the ones that we are asked to provide the recipe for the most. So, here it is.
- 100g/4oz blanched hazelnuts
- 140g/5oz self-raising flour
- 175g/6oz butter, cut into small pieces
- 140g/5oz golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 5 small ripe conference pears
- 50g/2oz dark chocolate chopped into small chunks
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 3/fan oven 140c. Butter and line the base of a 20cm/8in round cake tin.
- Grind the hazelnuts in a food processor until fairly fine. Add the flour and mix briefly. Add the butter and pulse until it forms crumbs. Add the sugar and eggs and mix briefly.
- Peel, core and chop two of the pears. Stir the pears and chocolate lightly into the cake mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Peel, core and slice the remaining pears and scatter over the top of the cake and press down lightly.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- Warm the jam and brush over the top. Serve warm or cold.