Walnut, Date & Honey Cake - A Real Winner
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 175g/6oz butter, softened
- 100g/4oz muscavado sugar
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 medium, ripe bananas, about 250g/9 oz total weight
- 100g/4oz stoned dates
- 50g pack walnut pieces
- 1 Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas3/fan oven 140C. Line the base and long sides of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper, buttering the tin and paper. Tip the flour, cinnamon, butter, sugar, 2 tablespoons of the honey and the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Mash the bananas and chop the dates and add to the bowl. Beat the mixture for 2-3 minutes using a wooden spoon until well blended
- 2 Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth. Scatter the walnut pieces over the top. Bake for 1 hour, then lightly press the top - it should feel firm. If not, bake for a further 10 minutes.
- 3 Cool for 15 minutes, then lift out of the tin using the paper. When cold drizzle the remaining honey over. Cut into thick pieces.
Per serving (for eight) 440 kcalories, protein 6g, carbohydrate 54g, fat 24g, saturated fat 13g, fibre 1.5g, added sugar 25g, salt 0.7g