Yummy Scrummy Carrot Cake
- 175g/6oz light muscavado sugar
- 175ml/6fl oz sunflower oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 140g/5oz grated carrot (about 3 medium carrots)
- 100g/4oz raisins
- grated zest of 1 large orange
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg (freshly grated will give you the best flavour)
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 175g/6oz icing sugar
- 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp orange juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan oven 160C. Oil and line the base and sides of an 18cm/7 inch square cake tin. Tip the sugar into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil and add the eggs. Lightly mix, then stir in the grated carrots, raisins and orange rind.
- Mix the flour, soda and spices, then sift into the bowl. Lightly mix all the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until it feels firm and springy when you press it in the centre. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out, peel off the paper and cool on a wire rack.
- Beat together the frosting ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Set the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the icing over the top.. Leave to set, then cut into slices
Per serving 265 kcalories, protein 3g, carbohydrates 39g, fat 12g, saturated fat 2g, fibre 1g, added sugar 24g, salt 0.41g